Vegan Essentials For Kitchen and Pantry
Going vegan? Already vegan? Consider stocking your freezer, refrigerator, and kitchen cupboards with these vegan essentials, plus a few nice extras, as listed below:
- Fresh Fruits, Vegetables and Greens
- Frozen Fruits (especially berries for smoothies, salads & baking)
- Frozen Vegetables (especially peas, corn, green beans, and spinach)
- Fresh Vegan Bread (or keep bread flour and baking supplies on hand to make your own)
- Rice, Pasta (egg-free), Quinoa, Cereal Grains
- Dried Fruits, Nuts, and Seeds (for recipes and snacking)
- Salsa and Sauce (including pasta sauce, marinara sauce, soy sauce, etc.)
- Cooking Oils (coconut and/or olive oil are best)
- Natural Sweeteners (such as honey, maple syrup, date sugar, sucanat, stevia, etc.)
- Beans – Canned and Dry (including pinto, white, black, chickpeas, and lentils)
- Snacks! Gotta have healthy vegan snacks! Pick them up at Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Sprouts, or your local independent vegan grocery or health food store.
Meat and Dairy Substitutes
You’ll find many options available at your local whole foods grocery or health food store. Here are some suggestions:
Vegan Burgers, Hot Dogs and Deli Meats
- Beyond Burgers, Dr. Praeger Perfect Burgers, Boca Burgers, Amys Veggie Burgers
- Lightlife Smart Dogs and Deli Slices, Field Roast Frankfurters, and many more
- Loma Linda canned veggie meats of all kinds.
Vegan Chicken, Pork and Fish
Most popular brands include Gardein, Loma Linda (canned and frozen), Morningstar, Tofurky, Dr. Praeger’s, and Butler Soy Curls.
Vegan Cheese, Milk, and Dairy Substitutes
- Popular brands of Vegan Cheese include Daiya, Violife, and Field Roast (Chao)
- Non-dairy kinds of milk and yogurt made from soy, coconut milk, almonds, cashews, rice, and even oatmeal are widely available in popular brands such as Silk, Edensoy, So Delicious, Rice Dream, Almond Breeze, Kite Hill, and many more.
- Most popular brands of vegan butter: Earth Balance and Miyoko’s.
Look for these popular brands: So Delicious, NadaMoo and Tofutti.
Vegan Egg Substitutes
- Egg Replacer for baking (Ener-G is a popular brand)
- Ground flaxseed mixed with water also works as an egg substitute in vegan recipes
- Bean water, also known as aquafaba, makes a great substitute for egg whites.
- Just Egg or the VeganEgg (good for scrambling and eating plain)
Seasonings, Flavorings, and Specialty Items
- Condiments: Mustard, Ketchup, Relish, Vegan Creamer, Sea Salt, Black Pepper
- Spices: Asian, Indian, Italian, Mexican … whatever you like to use
- Vegan Boullion Cubes or Packaged Broth
- McKay’s Vegan Seasoning (chicken and/or beef)
- TVP and imitation bacon bits for recipes and salads
- Firm tofu for cooking, stir-fries, tofu scramble, etc.
- Soft tofu for smoothies, baking, dips, and sauces
- Nutritional Yeast adds a cheesy flavor to any recipe and is an important plant-based source of Vitamin B-12
- Kelp Powder for soup, kimchi, mock fish sauce, Asian dishes, or even popcorn or salad dressing. Kelp is rich in amino acids, vitamins, and trace minerals.
- Black salt (also known as Kala namak) is a flavor enhancer. It has a savory, umami taste and is often used in egg-free dishes to give them flavor reminiscent of eggs. You’ll love it in a tofu scramble.
I hope you find this list of vegan essentials helpful. Please feel free to comment with any additions or changes you would like to see. Your feedback is much appreciated.
To Your Health!
Oklahoma Academy Country Store